Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

A HodgePodge of Books



I'm linking up to HodgePodge Friday! When I was younger, and even into high school, I did not like to read, I actually despised it, and when I did have to read for school, I just skimmed through because I thought of reading as a chore. Now that I have gotten older, I LOVE to read. It's an indulgence for me now... Just to curl up with a good book and get lost in the pages. I love browsing through bookstores. I literally could spend hours upon hours at a bookstore, and I have. My husband and I go off in different directions... he heads off to the political or history section, and I to the fiction/chick lit, cookbook, or magazine section. My little MonkeyGirl is an avid "reader" too. She flips through the pages, making up a story based on the pictures. She reads to me and loves to read to LittleMonster.


We have a bookshelf in our bedroom. Most of those are HockeyStud's books. I have a Kindle, and read most of my books on there.

I hardly ever get to read now though, sadly. When I was pregnant with the boy I read quite a bit, but now when I have a spare minute or two at night, I just want to either spend time with the Hubs, or sleep. I really should find more time to get lost in a book...

Here are some of my faaaaav books...

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner. Appropriately, I read this when I was pregnant. It's about Mommies and I loved it.

Jemima J by Jane Green. I love Ms. Green's books. I've only read a few of them and this one is the best, in my opinion. This is definitely chick lit.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This is the only Picoult book I have read, surprisingly, since I love those sappy books. I had a hard time putting this book down. I read this on a trip to North Carolina to visit my grandparents with my mom and MonkeyGirl and I had such a hard time putting it down. I cried during several parts of this book. Also, I haven't seen the movie because I was told the ending is different and not as good as the book, so I didn't want to spoil how AWESOME this book was.

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. This book is pretty emotional. This male author did an amazing job talking and "acting" like a female. Awesome book, plan and simple.

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen. Poignant and touching. My heart broke for this mother and son. I had a hard time putting this one down as well, anxiously awaiting to see what this woman's next step was.

Sink Reflections by Maria Cilley (The FlyLady). This is my current book that I'm very slowly reading. Since I'm obsessed with learning about organization, I wanted to give this book a go. So far, so good.

Some of MonkeyGirl's favorite books (and my fav Children's Books)...

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff. This is so stinkin cute. We saw a play about this book a little while back. MonkeyGirl LOVED it!

On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman. I bought this book when I was pregnant with Monkey. It is SO sweet and beautifully written and illustrated. My favorite lines in this book are: "Not once had there been such eyes, such a nose, such silly-wiggly little toes." and "Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn, on the wonderful marvelous night you were born." Very special book.

And, of course Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. This is such a classic. I have this memorized from front to back. In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of... The cow jumping over the moon...

I would love to know what your favorite books are!

- Jessica

2 comments:

  1. I just love books!! I can't get enough of them.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I about fell off of my chair when I saw the flylady book! I swear by FL! Currently I am wearing my "lace up" house cleaning shoes! HA! Seriously, the system works!

    ReplyDelete