Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Recipe - Pork, Black Beans, and Rice

I haven't posted a recipe in a while. Before my husband and I were together, he hated black beans. Then I cooked for him... and this is one of his favorite dinners. I use Montreal steak seasoning to season the pork chops... I use this seasoning on everything... veggies, steak, chicken, salmon, pork, ice cream...
Just kidding on that last one.

Ingredients
1 package of boneless pork chops (about 5 chops)
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I use Texmati Brown Rice cooked in a rice cooker)
1 can of reduced sodium black beans
1/2 green pepper
1/2 onion
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp sugar
salt
pepper
Montreal steak seasoning



Cook rice. Preheat oven to 350. Dice green pepper and onion and saute in a pot (not a pan) with a little extra virgin olive oil.


Once cooked, add can of black beans and let the beans get hot. Then add red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, sugar. Add more of any of those ingredients if needed. I almost always adjust it by adding more of something. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Cover and let simmer on low heat, stirring every 5 minutes. The beans will become a thick almost soup-like consistency.



While the beans are simmering, season pork chops with Montreal steak seasoning and cook in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cooked.


Serve black beans over the rice.

On a side note, the other day in the car, MonkeyGirl wanted to write her "lellers" (letters). So, I handed her a piece of paper and a pen in the backseat. She said tell me something to write... I said write M-O-M... This is what I got...


She's brilliant!!


This post is linked up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

- Jessica

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good will have to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks DELICIOUS!!! I love black beans..YUM

    and great job with her writing mom! so cute :)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete